I remember my aunt making Tizan for me when I had visited her during my school vacation. It was something new to me and like all children I was fussy to try it out. Of course aunty tried to tell me to eat it as it was good for kids etc. I managed to gulp it down but wasn’t aware of the benefits of it.
Years later after my eldest son was born my mother and mother-in-law both introduced nachni to us. So during winters I make it a point to make some tizan for my entire family.
- 1/4 cup nachni cleaned, washed and soaked overnight
- 2 cups water + water for grinding
- 1 cup milk/1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp honey/1 tbs. Jaggery grated
- Chopped fruits (optional as desired)
Method: After soaking the nachni strain the water and grind the nachni along with enough water to form a homogenous paste. Now take 2 cups water in a vessel and boil the water on a medium flame. Slowly add the ground nachni paste and with a whisk keeping stirring constantly to avoid any lumps from forming. Keep stirring till the nachni thickens and the nachni starts frothing. Now add the milk and cardamom powder and stir well. Pour into individual serving bowls and add jaggery/honey. Enjoy your nachni porridge with nuts as desired.
Benefits of nachni:
- It is alkaline and easy to digest.
- It keeps your colon hydrated and is a prebiotic food
- It helps in calming moods.
- It has plenty if fibre, simple sugars and low glycemic index.
- It stops migraines, heart attacks, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure
- It’s gluten free non-allergenic
- It’s rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, has a good source of copper, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus
- It prevents diabetes, cancer and detoxifies the body
- Helps to optimize kidney, liver and immune system health
Notes: 1. Nachni is called Finger Millet in English.
2. After grinding you can strain the pulp. I haven’t done so because being diabetic I need the fibre.
3. It takes almost 10-15 minutes to cook the porridge.
4. You can add little or more water while cooking the porridge depending on the thickness preferred by you and keep whisking to avoid lumps
Source : 1. www. Whfoods.com