Ingredients for Chow Mein:-
- Egg Noodles 1 packet boiled as per packet instructions, drained and refresh with cold water and ice cubes.
- 1 tin sweet corn drained 140 gms.
- 1/2 capsicum each of red, green and yellow cut into juliens
- 2 carrots cut into fine juliens
- 500 gms. Chicken pieces marinated with 1 tsp salt and 1tsp pepper powder boiled and shredded into pieces
- 250 gms. Mushrooms cut into juliens
- Celery 1/2 stalk cut into juliens
- 3 eggs beaten, scrambled and fried into small pieces
- 8-10 garlic bang with the back of a knife, clean and chop into bite size pieces
- Oil (as required)
- Salt (to taste)
- Soya sauce 2tbs
- Vinegar 1 tbs.
In a wok on a high flame heat the oil. Add the garlic and saute for sometime till the it becomes golden in colour. Add the mushrooms and fry till it changes colour.
Add capsicums and fry for sometime. Now add the carrots and continue frying for 2 minutes. Now add the celery and continue frying till it changes it colour slightly. Add the sweet corn and shredded chicken chunks and mix well. Now add the soya sauce and vinegar. Add the noodles and mix well. Shake the wok. Switch off the gas. Enjoy.
Ingredients for Chilli Chicken:
- Chicken (boneless) 500 gms,
- Eggs 2
- Cornflour 4 tbs
- Maida 2 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Soya sauce 2 tbs
- Chilli sauce 3 tbs
- Onions 2 med. size cleaned and washed
- Garlic 8-10 (As desired. I love garlic)
- Green chillies 2 cut into halves and deseeded
- Capsicums 2 mediums cut into quarters
- Oil for deep frying
- Vinegar 2 tbs
- White pepper powder 1 tsp.
- Red colour a pinch
- Water as required
- Spring onions/Coriander for decoration (you can use both or either of the two. I substituted spring onions with coriander as I didn’t have spring onions)
- Stock of a chicken pieces (I had used stock from the chicken I had boiled for the chow)
Method: Wash, trim and cut chicken into chunks. Make a mixture of 1 egg first with 2 tbs. cornflour & 2 tbs. maida, 1 tbs. soya sauce, salt as required (careful with the salt) as soya sauce is salty, chilli sauce 2 tbs. Now add the chicken pieces and mix well. Keep aside for 1/2 an hour. If required while frying and if you fall short you can add more cornflour, maida and egg. The mixture should coat the chicken.
In the meanwhile peel and wash onions. Cut into quarters and separate the quarters. Keep aside. Wash the capsicums and cut into quarters. Keep aside. Remove the stems, wash and chop chillies into desired shapes. If you have kids at home cut the chillies at a slant so it can be removed before they bite into it. Crush the garlic and remove the skins and cut into fine chunks.
Make a mix of the remaining cornflour, white pepper powder, remaining soya sauce, colour and 2-3 tablespoons of water. If you add more water to the cornflour mix it will make a sizeable amount of gravy for the chilli chicken.
Take enough oil in a deep pan. Heat the oil and deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown. Remove and drain onto an absorbent kitchen towel.
Now from the deep fry pan add oil about 2 tbs in a non-stick vessel. Add the garlic and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and stir fry till translucent. Add capsicum and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add the stock at this moment. Now add the chicken and let it cook for a few minutes. Add chopped chillies and chilli sauce. Let it cook for 1 minute. Now add your cornflour mixture and pour into the pan. Mix well to incorporate. Add vinegar and chopped coriander leaves for decoration. Switch off the gas and enjoy.