Almost all Goans love prawns and include it in their vegetable curry preparations. So whether its a pumpkin curry, drumsticks curry, raw mango curry or a lady fingers curry we Goans will add prawns in it. This is also a hot favourite in my home and my family swipes this off immediately❤. I have shared this curry with friends and relatives who were all praise for it. So I’m sharing with you my mum’s recipe for the lady fingers and prawns curry.
- Lady fingers 1/2 kg. washed, dried, head and tail chopped, cut into 1 1/2″ size pieces
- Prawns 3/4 kg. Cleaned, deveined, washed and salted 1/2 hour before use.
- Onion 1 medium size finely chopped
- Tomato 1 large finely chopped
- Green chillies 3 slit lengthwise
- Sola/Kokum as required
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- 9 red chillies (mixed bedki and kashmir)
- Cumin 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds 2 tbs.
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Coconut 1/2 scrapped
- Tamarind soaked for 1/2 hour (small lime sized ball)
- Water as required
In a mixer grind items 9-14 with enough water to form a smooth paste for 2-3 times. Now add tamarind and grind again twice till you get nice thick paste. Remove the masala paste in a bowl. Wash the mixer with 1/3 cup water and keep aside.
In a non-stick vessel heat oil. Add chopped onions and saute till translucent. Now add the green chillies and fry till they release their aroma. Now add the tomatoes and cover and cook till they turn mushy. Add the masala and fry well till the oil floats. Now add the masala water and enough water to make a nice curry. Add lady fingers, sola and mix. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes. Add prawns and salt, cook for 5 minutes. Switch off and relish😃 with rice.