So I have made Paella before for my family and they loved. I decided why not go European and make a Paella instead of our Arroz, this weekend.
Paella is a Spanish dish, which I would compare to a fried rice. This is my take on Paella and I’m sharing this recipe with you. I have included chicken, sausages and seafood.
- 4 tbs. Olive oil
- 1/2 a chicken breast cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 a red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 a green pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 a pod garlic cloves cleaned and cut fine
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 c. basmati rice washed and soaked for 1/2 an hour
- 2 c. prawns stock (See below)
- 4 chicken sausages
- 1/2 celery finely chopped , leaves separated
- 4 big squids cleaned washed and cut into 1/2″ circles
- 250 gms. prawns cleaned and washed
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- 1/3 C peas
Method: In a non-stick vessel heat oil on medium heat. Brown chicken, chicken sausages and remove. Add prawns brown it a little and remove. Then add the peppers and remove. Add garlic. When it turns golden add the onions. Saute and cover. When it becomes translucent add the tomatoes and cook till it becomes soft. Now add the rice and saute for sometime. Add the stock, salt, paprika, peas and squid and cook for 15 minutes on a high flame. When it starts boiling and the stock has reduced to 1/2 the quantity lower the flame to a simmer. Now introduce the chicken, sausages, prawns, peppers and mix well. Cover and let it cook for 3 minutes. Check the taste. Switch off and decorate with celery leaves.
Alternatively you can add parsley, olives, shellfish, crab meat chunks etc. You can skip or substitute items in the menu as per your choice.
My mum would make a lot of stocks which was used for various purposes. Then after marriage we used cubes, but when I read that they contain monosodium glumate (MSG) I stopped using cubes. Mummy knew best.❤
Ingredients to make the prawns stock:
- The head and shell and tails of the prawns.
- Water as required (I used 3 cups)
- Salt 1 tsp.
Boil in an aluminium vessel till the stock reduces a little. Strain and bang the heads and tails in the vessel. Now strain again. Discards the shells, tails and head. Use the stock as desired.