Swadika! Welcome to Khao Phat, which is Thai fried rice. Another dish which we ate and relished a lot when in Thailand. So here’s my version of Khao Phat which includes vegetables and proteins.
- 3 cups a day old cooked rice (jasmine rice preferred, but I have used Basmati rice)
- 1/2 cup shrimps cleaned, deveined, washed and salted with 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 onion cut lengthwise
- 2 carrots cut into cubes
- Red, Green and Yellow Capsicums cut into cubes
- Mushrooms quartered and cut fine lengthwise
- 1 bunch spring onions cut into rounds and a few cut finely at a slant
- 5-6 garlic cloves cut into chunks
- Chicken breasts 250 gms. cut into cubes marinated with 1 tbs soya sauce, 1/2 tsp. White pepper powder and 1/4 tsp. salt
- Oil for sauteeing
Ingredients for Nam Prik Nam Pla:
- 2 tbs. Fish sauce
- 2 tbs. Soya sauce
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 5 Thai red chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar
Method for preparing Nam Prik Nam Pla: Mix all these in a bowl and keep aside for use in Khao Phat.
Method for Khao Phat: In a wok heat oil on a medium flame and add the garlic. Saute till golden brown. Remove and keep aside. Add the carrots cubes. Cook till they are slightly soft. Now add the onions and saute till they turn translucent. Now add the different colours capsicums and saute for about two minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteeing till they change colour.
Now remove all the vegetables into a plate in which the cooked garlic was placed. Now add a little more oil and add the chicken. Continue stirring, till the chunks change colour. Now add the prawns. Stir well till the prawns start changing colour.
Add the rice and saute mixing with the chicken and prawns. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add the vegetables and garlic and mix well.
Now make a well in the middle by pushing the rice aside and in the middle break the eggs and stir the eggs well. Break the egg with your spoon/spatula into chunks. Mix well into your Khao Phat. Add a 1 tbs of Nam Prik Nam Pla. Mix well the entire mixture. Add the chopped spring onions and switch off the gas. Serve hot and enjoy your Khao Phat. In a serving bowl pour the Nam Prik Nam Pla. This sauce can be added to each serving portion as per pŕeference. Khao Jhatphat fatafat.😊