During summers we always have cooling food to cool us. So this dish is a favourite way of combining two vegetables into a dish. Bottle gourd which is also called Lauki in Hindi is used to cool down our metabolism. This is a big hit in my in-laws house and made quite frequently by my M-I-L during summers.
- 1 cup channa dal soaked for 1/2 an hour
- 2 cups water for boiling the dal
- 300 gms. tender bottle gourd/lauki cleaned and cut into bite size cubes
- 1 tomato cut finely
- 1 tumeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water for boiling the bottle gourd
Ingredients for sauteeing:
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 7-9 garlic pods cleaned and chopped into small chunks
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbs. Coriander powder
- Curry leaves as desired
- Red button chillies as desired
- 1″ ginger cut into juliens
In a cooker after soaking the dal for 1/2 an hour wash and boil the dal, with 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1/2 tsp. Tumeric powder, chopped tomato and oil 2 tbsp. for 3 whistles. Keep aside.
In another vessel boil the bottle gourd with salt 1/2 tsp, tumeric 1/2 tsp and water 1/2 cup. till the bottle gourd/Lauki becomes soft.
In a non-stick vessel pour the Channa Dal and add the boiled Bottle gourd along with the water in which it was boiled.
Now in the baghar spoon add oil and when hot add the mustard seeds. When they stop spluttering add the cumin seeds and fry till golden. Now add the garlic and saute till golden brown. Add the red chilli powder and coriander powder. Fry well till aroma is released. Add the red button chillies and curry leaves. Pour this to the non-stick vessel. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes. Before switching off the gas add the ginger juliens. Enjoy with phulkas or chappatis.☺
Benefits of bottle gourd:
- Helps in curing constipation, flatulence and even piles.
- Promotes weight loss
- Extremely low content of fat and cholesterol
- Prevents fatigue and keeps body cool and refreshed
- Rich in vitamin B, C, iron and helps in anti-oxidative actions
- It contains sodium, potassium and helps to regulate blood pressure and prevents the risk of heart ailments
- Good for people with hypertension
- Good for people with digestive problems, diabetics
- Low calorie diet
- Balances the liver functioning when the liver is inflamed
- Helpful for treating insanity, epilepsy, stomach acidity,indigestion, ulcers and other nervous diseases.