Nasi Goreng – Indonesian fried rice. This dish brings back memories of our family’s visit to Malaysia. We were returning from Malaysia and what caught my attention was the sunny side up egg on fried rice. The sunny side fried egg reminded me of Ros Omlette a breakfast my mom would make quite often with left over curry. Nasi Goreng a very delicious dish for those who like to eat fried rice with a good addition of vegetables. My family loves it especially, my eldest son Marlon who was a very fussy eater at that time. Sharing my version of Nasi Goreng for you to enjoy in your home.
- Cooked rice 1/2 kg. (Qty. as required)
- Prawns 1/2 kg. Cleaned thoroughly middle vein removed and washed (Qty as required) kept in a bowl
- Eggs at room temperature (sunny side up, 1 for each person or serving)
- chicken without skin 300 gms. washed, salted and added pepper boil and shred it and kept in a bowl
- cabbage 100 gms. washed and finely chopped and kept in a bowl
- 2 carrots scrapped, washed, cut into cubes boiled and drained and kept in a bowl
- 1/2 cup corn boiled and drained and kept in a bowl
- 150 gms mushrooms washed, boiled and cut lengthwise and kept in a bowl
- 1/4 cup peas boiled and drained and kept in a bowl
- 1/2 red capsicum cut into cubes and kept in a bowl
- 1/2 yellow capsicum cut into cubes and kept in a bowl
- 1/2 green capsicum cut into cubes and kept in a bowl
- 2tbsp. tomato sauce,
- 1tbsp. fish sauce,
- 2 tbsp. sambal,
- 1 tbsp. Worchestire sauce,
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce,
- 2 tbsp. sweet soya sauce,
- chilli flakes as required.
- 7-9 garlic pods finely chopped
- celery 2 stalks washed and finely chopped
- spring onions 2 bundles cleaned and the white part chopped into rounds the green part few cut at a slant and the remaining cut into round as required (separate each and keep in separate bowls)
- Prawn crackers (for decoration as required)
- Oil as required.
In a pan add oil 2tbsp and now put chopped garlic. Don’t brown. Add the whites of the spring onions, and stir for a minute. Now add the boiled carrots, followed by the cabbage and stir.
Immediately add mushrooms, let it cook for 1 minute, then add the celery and the capsicums. Fry for about two minutes. Last add the peas and the corn. Using two spatullas mix and incorporate well. Add the green part of the spring onions cut into rounds. Remove all the vegetables and keep aside.
Now with a little oil fry a sunny side up egg.🍳 Let it cook with the yolk shinning as the hero of the dish. Remove into a plate and keep aside. Repeat the process for all the eggs to be used.
In a deep bottom vessel add oil and fry prawn crackers till golden brown. A warning to all lovers of fried stuff the crackers are very tempting and you can’t stop munching on them, but keep a few aside as garnish to your plate😂.
Now in a wok on high heat add oil and slowly add the sambal paste. Fry well to incorporate. Add the Worchestire sauce, stir for a minute. Add Oyster sauce and mix. Now add the fish stock and stir. Add the tomato sauce and sweet soya sauce. Stir well to incorporate, add the prawns. Cook for 5 minutes turning the prawns to cook on both the sides. Now add the chicken. Stir well.
Add the cooked rice and start stirring. Be careful not to break the rice. Add all the vegetables into the fried rice. Mix well with both the spatullas to incorporate all the ingredients into the fried rice. Decorate with chopped spring onions. Leave for 2 mins. Switch off your gas.
Take a bowl put the fried rice into it. Level it and put it on a plate bowl upside down. Turn and slowly remove your bowl. Your mound of fried rice is ready. Now carefully place your fried egg on it. Relish and enjoy with prawn crackers and spring onions as a garnish.