A Goan must have dish called Vindalho. Almost every Goan house has their own version of Vindalho masala. So without much ado let’s get to the recipe.
- 1 1/2kg chicken cut into 16 medium size pieces skinned, fat removed and washed
- 1 tsp salt (As per taste)
- 1″ fresh tumeric or 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1″ ginger
- 10-12 dry red chillies (mix of bedki and kashmir chillies as required)
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. peppercorns
- 1 1/2″ thick cinnamon stick
- 3/4 tsp. Cloves
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- 1 lemon size ball of tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tbs. grated jaggery/Palm sugar
- 4 tbs. Oil (As required)
- 3 onions washed, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 tbs. Coconut vinegar/any good quality vinegar
- Water as required
In a bowl marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste, salt and tumeric and keep aside. Grind items nos (5-11) in a mixer adding enough water to make a homogenous paste for 2-3 times. Add the tamrind and grind again. Now add about 1 tbs. Of the vinegar along with 1 tsp grated jaggery. Grind again. Remove the ground masala from the mixer into a bowl. Wash the mixer with a little water and keep aside in another bowl.
In a non-stick vessel heat oil and add the sliced onions. Saute till the onions turn golden brown. Now add the green chillies and fry. Add the chicken cover
and saute till the chicken turns opaque. Now add the ground masala and mix well with the chicken and fry. Add the remaining vinegar and jaggery to taste. Add the masala water and let it cook covered till the chicken is done. Switch off and remove from the gas and enjoy.