My neighbour would prepare this vegetable curry on some special days. So we were lucky to have such a good rapport that we would get to taste their food on a regular basis. So without much ado let’s get to the recipe:
Ingredients to grind for vegetable curry:
- Scrapped Coconut 1/2
- 7 kashmir chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 tbs. Coriander seeds
- 3 pods garlic
- Water for grinding
- 1 small lemon size ball of tamarind soaked in water
Vegetables for the curry:
- 100 gms. Lady fingers washed head and end cut and cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 100 gms. Drumsticks wash, clean, scrape and cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 100 gms. carrots clean and cut into 1 1/2″ cubes.
- 100 gms. Raw banana cut the skin and remove and cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 100 gms. Brinjals cut into cubes
- 100 gms. Snake gourd scrape, remove the innards and cut into 1 1/2″ cubes
- 100 gms. Yam cleaned washed and cut into cubes
- 2 cups water for washing and boiling the vegetables
Ingredients for sauteeing:
- 7 garlic pods cleaned and crush with the back of the knife to release the flavours
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 7 button red chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 tbs. Oil
- Salt to taste
Grind the masala along with items (1-6) for three times adding enough water to make a smooth homogenous water.
Then add the soaked tamarind and grind again.
In the meanwhile wash all the cut vegetables and boil 1 by 1 in batches till they are semi soft. Keep aside the vegetables. Now add the ground masala and boil the curry till the curry is nice and frothy. Add a little water to the mixer and add this water to the curry.
Now in a non-stick vessel add oil and add the asafoetida. Let it turn golden and release it’s aroma. Now add the mustard. When the mustard stops spluttering add the cumin. When the cumin turns golden add the crushed garlic and fry. When the garlic turns golden add the button chillies and curry leaves. Let it release its aroma. Add the entire sauteed ingredients to your curry. Cook for 2-5 minutes after adding the sauteed ingredients. Switch off and enjoy with steamed cooked rice.