Tiffin preparations are a major task specially with fussy boys. Most of the times they demand a particular dish and being a very loving wife and mum their demands are met.
So at my son’s insistence I decided to prepare Pasta for their Tiffin. My eldest son loves Mac and Cheese, but I always add a few healthy twists into my food. So here’s my version of Mac n cheese.
Ingredients for pasta:
- 1 packet wholewheat pasta boiled, refreshed with cold water and drained as per packet instructions.
- White sauce 2 cups (method mentioned below)
- Chicken stock 2 cups (boiled and kept aside)
- Chicken breast 500 gms washed, wiped and cut into cubes (marinate with 1 tsp salt and pepper each)
- Olive oil 4 tbs.
- Mozzarella cheese 250 gms
- Cheddar cheese 250 gms
- Red capsicums 1/2 finely diced
- Green capsicums 1/2 finely diced
- Yellow capsicums 1/2 finely diced
- Carrot 100 gms finely diced
- Mushrooms 200 gms cut into 1/4″ thin slices
- Mixed italian herbs 1 tbs (1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp basil)
- Parsley 1 tbs (optional dressing)
Ingredients for white sauce :
- Butter 4 tbs.
- Flour 4 tbs
- Garlic 4-5 cloves finely chopped
- Red chilli flakes 1/2 tsp
- White pepper powder 1 tsp
- Milk 1 cup ( full fat)
- Nutmeg powder 1/4 tsp
- Whisk (for whisking purposes)
Method for white sauce:
In a non-stick vessel add 2 tbs butter. As soon as the butter melts add the garlic. Fry till golden brown. Remove and keep aside. Now add the remaining butter. After the butter melts add the flour. Fry well till the aroma is released and the flour becomes nice and golden. Now add the milk. Using the whisk, whisk well till flour dissolves into the milk and becomes a homogenous sauce. Add the sauteed garlic, red chilli flakes, white pepper powder and nutmeg powder.
Cook till the mixture thickens and becomes a sauce. Remove and keep aside to cool.
Method for cooking the chicken :
In a non-stick vessel add olive oil 2 tbs and fry the chicken for about 3 minutes. Cover and let it cook for another few minutes till the meat has turned white. Remove the chicken into a bowl and keep aside.
Now add the remaining olive oil. Saute the carrots and cover and cook till the carrots have softened a bit. Add the mushrooms and cook till they become soft. Now add the capsicums 1 by 1 and cook.
Cover and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Open and mix the white sauce. Stir well to mix and add the chicken. Add the pasta and mix well. Now add the chicken stock. Add the cheese 1 by 1. Stir and mix well. Switch off the gas. Now add the dressings. Serve hot and enjoy your pasta.