Red Pumpkin or Bhopla as it’s called in Hindi is a very easy vegetable to cook. I love the bright yellow orange colour. I enjoy this vegetable with a hint of spices. Let’s get to the recipe without much ado.
- 500 gms red pumpkin de-skinned, seeds removed and cut into 1″ cubes and soaked into a bowl of water (Reserve the skin as I will be preparing something from it and the seeds can be toasted and eaten)
- Oil 3 tbs.
- Asafoetida a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Button red chillies 4-5 nos.
- 3 Kashmir chillies broken into 2″ pieces
- Grated Coconut 2 tbs.
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- Samarcho Pitto 1 tbs.
- Salt to taste
- Water 1/4 cup
Method : In a non-stick vessel add oil and let it become hot. When it is smoking hot add the asafoetida.
When it turns golden add the mustard seeds. When they start popping add the cumin seeds and chillies. As soon as the cumin turns golden add the onions and fry for a few minutes. Cover and cook till they become translucent. Now add the pumpkin, samarcho Pitto and salt. Cover and cook.
Stir nicely mixing well. If dry add water. Within 5-7 minutes the pumpkin will be ready. Decorate with coconut and enjoy.
Recipe for Samarcho Pitto click below
Benefits of eating red pumpkin vegetable:
1. As a diabetic I have personally experienced that I skip the need to eat a sweet after eating red pumpkin.
2. Red Pumpkin is good for the heart.
3. It is high in fibre, potassium, vitamin C, low in calories, has anti-oxidant properties
4. It is also a good source of beta carotene.